Monday, November 25, 2019

AT Approach to BMT Start


Spent the day with my buddy Patrick on the AT approach trail.  A plan is slowly developing in my mind about seeing more of the AT and the Benton Mackaye trail.  Ive only been on a few short sections of these trail systems, maybe 50 miles total.  Each part has been beautiful and challenging.  High adventure.  The best part being I’m not bushwhacking nor getting cut up by briars.  Another aspect of these trails that I’ve enjoyed are the people I’ve met and their stories. 

The Route



 The route starts near the Amicalola Lodge in the lower left corner.  No we didn’t do the stairs up Amicalola Falls.  Been there done that.  As another buddy of mine once said at the top of the stairs: “what?, we can drive up here?!” We took the AT approach trail to Springer Mtn, the official start of the AT and then on to the start of the BMT.  We returned on that same trail and took the Len Foote trail back to the lodge stopping at the Hike Inn along the way.  The route was about 17miles with about 4k in gain.

Springer Mtn at AT Start




View from top of Springer Mtn


We noticed that all the trees at the top of Springer Mtn were covered in ice.


Start of BMT is just a bit further down from top of Springer Mtn

The trail getting to Springer Mtn trended upward so the return was a blast being mostly down hill.  Not all down hill. Mostly ;).  The trail is technical with rocks and roots so you have to pick your feet up to avoid having a bad day. On the return we stopped at the Len Foote Hike Inn to check it out.  We ended up having a hot chocolate and enjoying some time chatting on the porch sitting in the sun.  I think my family would enjoy this place.  I saw several families hiking in with plans to spend a few nights.  A prevailing theme at the Inn is no electronics.  One family I spoke with mentioned their visit was going to be a much needed tech detox.  I can relate.


Len Foote Hike Inn

From the Inn back to the lodge is about 4 miles.  My legs were quite happy with sitting in the sun and took a few minutes to accept the task at hand.  On the way back there were several nice overlooks.  We could see Stone Mtn and ATL faintly in the distance.


A nice spot to hang out.  I ended up hanging out here for a while talking to a few families hiking into the Inn.


Overlook


Back at the Start 

I think we finished in about 7 hours.  We took a lot of leisure time at Springer, the Inn, and the overlooks.  We had a beer at the Lodge and called it a day.  








No comments:

Post a Comment